Hi all,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:36:31PM +0000, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 05:40, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> > If it is indeed a DOS program (wasn't hashavshevet ported to windows
> > ever?), you can also try dosemu. It is more or less stagnated in the
> > recent years, but works very well most of the time (that is, usually
> > mush better than a "Command Prompt" (VDM) in any windows version).
> you wish...

Well, I am sorry for being so pretentious. It isn't. It's different.
While I did play with it a bit many years ago (5-6?), these days it's
used on my computer (by my mom, not me) only for a single application,
QText, which I will describe in the end.
But I will still address some of your problems.

> 1) freedos has still a lot of holes. or else you will need an msdos 6.22, dr
> dos 7.03 is good though.

Or a legal Win9x. I personally still use OpenDOS 7.01, from the days
it belonged to caldera. Works quite well. But I do have expectations
for FreeDOS.

> 2) freecom eats memory, like meafter 4 hours of fast.

Sorry, I never tried it.

> 3) dosemu (I think), dies when I use pkzip to zip a spcecific file (about
> 150kb)

Sounds very weird. Maybe FreeDOS dies? Did you try others? In any
case (I know this is ignoring a real problem), why would you want
to use it if you have zip/unzip under Linux?

> 4) I could not set up the mouse under console, and in X when I press the
> button, the programs thinks that the mouse has moves to 1,1. when I unpress
> it it goes back to the original location.

Sounds to me like a protocol configuration error.
What does your "$_mouse = " line says, and what mouse do you have?
QText doesn't use a mouse, so under X it works almost like an xterm -
you have copy&paste with the mouse - very comfortable to me.

> 5) in console I have problems with the cursor.
> 6) could not setup the graphics un console. linux gets stucked.

When I stopped playing with it, graphics support was in the middle
of development. I thought it would stabilize by now, apparently it
didn't.

> give me a larger list for command prompt under win98.

My private problem was running things like QText (of which version
is still available for free (as in beer) from ftp.cs.huji.ac.il, I
think) under NT 4 (and had the same problem under W2K, didn't try
XP). I simply couldn't convince the DOS box to use a hebrew font,
no matter what I tried. The closest I came was running it full screen
and running vgahe.com under it, which worked as long as you didn't
revert it back to a window. I heard from someone it should be possible,
with heavy tweaking (registry, system.ini, win.ini, renaming of
font files, etc.), but never managed to do it myself.

Under dosemu, I simply created a dexe that uses a dos hebrew font
(some are available from ivrix), maps a drive to the user's home dir,
and runs qtext. Works like a charm for many years.

This, BTW, is the reason I reply: The not-so-good (YMMV) hebrew
support of NT, which in specific applications was much better in
Linux for many years, is on-topic. And only recently there are
native Linux alternatives for people that used QText 10 years ago.
Maybe in a few months I will be able to convince my mom to switch.
She didn't like LyX. Maybe abiword will soon be beter.

I hope XP is better. NT 4 was a nightmare. Even if it is possible,
I can't find a sane reason why, of all applications, the DOS box
refused to let you choose among more than 2-3 fonts.

>  - diego
>
> --
>                               FROM THE DESK OF
>                               Dorothy Gale