> > Mail problems when disconnecting - well, with dyndns.org you just ask
> > your friend to be a backup MX for you, so when you're offline for various
> > reasons -his server gets your emails and once your server is back online
> > and re-registerd your dyndns.org host (with the ddclient which does
> > automatically) - then your email will be kicked back to your mail server
> > from your friends...
>
> So are you advertising dyndns.org or Netvision ?  Or are you trying to
> explain how to fix netvision's problems using some other provider ? The
> way to fix an ISPs problems is to have them clean up their act. (and
> leaving it for other ISPs is a good hint most of the time).

Dyndns.org is a totally free service. I don't think it's only Netvision's
problems (I assume you're talking about disconnecting) as I have seen these
problems on other ISP's as well - and don't forget that most of those
problems are related to Bezeq's, and not the ISP (including their crappy
ATM).

> > As for support - I called them few times at 3:00 AM and there was always
> > someone there. Sure, those windows supporters sucks when it comes to
> > Linux, but you should ask for the manager who's in charge.
>
> And the manager will also be mostly clueless.

Well, it really depends, on what you read him from the /var/log/messages - if
you read to him that the user is already connected, he can kick the user out
so you can connect back. if you tell him that there's LCP error, then he can
do something or ask around. Windows is MUCH less verbose then Linux and the
support on many ISP's will simply ask you to re-install the whole she-bang ;)

> > Most of the time you can see the problem in your /var/log/messages -
> > sometimes the TACACT server "forget" to unregister you before you dial
> > again or their server doesn't answer - you can explain that to the
> > supporter. If you don't like the supporter - then ask his manager...
>
> The supporter will ignore your questions, saying that they do not support
> Linux etc etc. The manager wont be much more helpful. Also, the attitude
> of "why turn to support, you can fix your own problems" is not really what
> I would call flattering to the ISP you are trying to defend here... ;)

Yes, they (other then Actcom) don't support Linux officially (unless you're
lucky and someone who calls you back know a thing or two about Linux), but
the manager COULD be helpful if you simply read him whats the error..

> ... To conclude, an ISP you connect you should provide you with a service
> that is as closely as possible tailored to your needs. If in order to
> receive such service you need to bend over backwards, and also you need to
> replace part of that ISPs solutions with bandaids, and if the answer to
> the fact their support is unhelpful in the materia you need to go and fix
> stuff yourself, I'd say he needs to switch ISPs.

It all comes down to advantages and disadvantages. I've been on many ISP's
before, and I'm NOT trying here to pursuade someone to stay in Netvision.

>    Disclaimer: I work for a University (whatever that means).

Yes, I want to work there too :(

Hetz