On 2002-01-25, Daniel Pearson wrote:
[snip]
> As you may have guessed, I am able to successfully connect to and use the
> Internet via DSL.  The problem is that the connection suddenly stops working at
> rather frequent, but very irregular intervals.  When this happens packets don't
> go through at all, and pppd soon gives up on the connection and exits because
> it is no longer receiving responses to its LCP echo requests.

Dear searcher of the list archives who may find this useful,

I had a similar sporadic disconnections problem using a new Alcatel
SpeedTouch Home modem. Replacing the network card, as suggested by Eli
Marmor, solved it.

The problematic NIC was a Tulip-based Kingston 10BaseT/10Base2 card
(which *does* work with the Orckit ATUR3 modem when given the options=4
module argument).
The good NIC is based on the Intel 82557 (eepro100).

  Regards,
    Eran