I must disagree with the degree of certainty of your conclusion.
Alcatel security has little to do with the security of the machine
running behind it, since when alcatel don't get an ip, the machine gets
the ip.
i.e. the machine, which is where the data is, is vulnerable to internet
hazards. setting up a firewall, and IDS if u r running a public service
is the only way to enhance the security of your server.
so what if ur modem gets hacked. it can't bypass the firewall because
the Linux firewall, when you choose a gateway, should in default define
the gateway to be separated from the computers behind it.
a. ok now lets hypothesize that your modem gets hacked on the pro mode.
using the above assumption as the reality of the Linux configuration,
the modem will in effect be just another computer on the network.
b. lets now return to the pptp session configuration. if somehow the
hacker hacked the modem, he could potentially find a way to piggy bag on
the pptp session on which case the firewall have no protection against.
by piggy bag
i mean that a bug in the modem would allow to initiate a telnet session
as comming from inside the pppX of your machine. i.e. by not changing
anything in the code or adding to it.

conclusion: you are in effect have a lesser degree of security with the
pptp session. also please note that pptp is an encapsulation protocol,
and tcp over ppp is not, that is, if you reject all traffic originating
from the modem you are more safe then accepting pptp traffic from the
modem.

That said, it could be that there is a way to install some sniffer+tcp
injection code+packet router inside the modem, but I have my doubts.

nb: i use pptp and have alcatel. why?, lazy + don't care + i pitty the
guy/girl (lets be politicaly correct) who would want to hack my p90
machine who can't be sure what time of day is it. i would put it in a
senior home, but i don't have the heart.

* - * - *
Tzahi Fadida
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technion Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
My Cool Site: HTTP://WWW.My2Nis.Com
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

(www.s-box.com), or
if you are poor, a 4 port 10/100 hub and pptp router from linksys:
http://linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20
and other such neat router/packet filter/switch combos that are $45-$80
on Amazon and other places (search "DSL router"). some of them even have
IPSEC and can connect you to the Office CP FW-1 based VPN server

in any case, Alcatel, is NOT a very good idea, security-wise

--
Don Quixote and Abraham Lincoln rolled into one
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal