Hi,

I want to grow the / partition. When I wanted to resize partitions in the past
(which did happen a number of times to /usr and /home as I weaned myself from
windows and the available tools grew by leaps and bounds), I just copied the
content of the partition, using cp -a, to a directory on another partition (I
may have used tar zcf if I only had space on a vfat partition), destroyed the
partition, recreated it with more sectors (typically the new secttors came
from another partition that moved after eating some vfat for breakfast ;-)),
and finally copied the contents back to the new partition.

This is obviously inappropriate for /, because I can't unmount /. I tried to
use ext2fsadm, but it wants a file created by vgscan. I read the docs, and
they require me to create logical volumes with vgcreate. At this point I am
slowly getting lost, so does anybody have quick instructions on this one?

I am using a RH8.0 on a amd k2-550, and my drive is (from dmesg):
hda: FUJITSU MHK2120AT, ATA DISK drive
hda: 23579136 sectors (12073 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=1467/255/63, UDMA(33)

Thanks,

Arie Folger
--
It is absurd to seek to give an account of the matter to a man
who cannot himself give an account of anything; for insofar as