On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:04:36AM +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Eli Marmor, from the post of Wed, 30 Oct:
> > So the big question: Why, when it comes to important protocols such as
> > SSH, X, IRC, VNC, etc., the applets must speak those protocols
> > directly with the backend, and can't speak it over HTTP/HTTPS?
>
> Eli, you have been doing HTTP work in the past, can't you see the
> problems? HTTP works only one way - client asks, server answers. there
> is no way for the server to shove information asynchronously to the
> user, how can such interactive protocols work? you really want to load
> the line with 1 second polls from the client, or see screen updates only
> after you type or move a mouse?

Sometimes you'd rather that over nothing. I know at least two places
(and guess there are thousands) that do not permit any outgoing traffic
except http over their proxy (so that running sshd on port 80 won't
work either). If you had a way to run such a http<->ssh proxy, even
a slow and non-responsive one, you would use it when you had to.

> polling may be OK on a local bus or LAN, not over WAN and dialup. the
> other (and major) problem is that encapsulation can bloat protocols, and
> in ssh/X you want quick response, without the overhead of unpacking,
> repacking, and parsing. compression is the most you want. (hence
> TightVNC, X compressors and the built-in compression in ssh)
>
> --
> Now playing for the Denver Broncos
> Ira Abramov
>
> http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
> Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.

        Didi