Hi,

I just setuped a new server. It is only running postfix at this time, relaying mail from another server.

The distribution is RedHat 7.3 with all of the updates.

There is a large amount of mail in the queue (about 17k mails).

The load average goes upto 8.x. If I kill postfix, it goes back down to 0.x. The strange thing is that top shows that the cpu usage is pretty low:
CPU0 states: 1.2% user, 3.2% system, 0.4% nice, 95.1% idle
CPU1 states: 1.4% user, 2.3% system, 0.4% nice, 95.3% idle

Hardware is not the problem. The machine is a dual Athlon MP 2000 with 1GB of DDRAM and 2 IDE hdds with 8MB cache in RAID1. It should be able to handle that kind of work without any problem.

I'm using ext3.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sagi