Hello Sagi,

> >Maybe limit the number of postfix processes (of some kind?)
> >
> No, it's not that:
> [sagi@black sagi]$ ps auxww|grep -ic postfix
> 77
> [sagi@black sagi]$

Command w or uptime shows number of processes that are waiting for CPU
AND number of processes that stuck for one or other reason in kernel
space.
Most of the time it is equivalent to load average as uptime shows:
[~]$ uptime
 14:55:25 up 31 days, 20:47, 38 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00
[~]$

This is the case for "load average" to jump when you have zombie processes
or when remote nfs server disconnected and you try to access a file on the
"imported" file system.

In your case (I think) it is postfix processes that are contending for
file locks using system calls.

I think the solution is to reduce number of "pollers" or whatever postfix
has.

> >Use postfix's various concurrecy limitations.
> >
> >Have a look at http://postfix.openu.ac.il/rate.html

---
Bye,  | Fax: (972)-2-6796453
Arieh | Phone: (972)-6795364