I/O bound?
Being killed by the journalling overhead of ext3?
Insufficient RAM to cache the files being accessed in the disk
(improbable)?

My first guess is that this has to do with interaction of postfix with
ext3 journalling.
Things to check/try:
- Is the system actually I/O bound?
- What happens if you put the E-mail files in an ext2 partition?
- How about putting the ext3 journalling file in another disk drive?

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Sagi Bashari wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just setuped a new server. It is only running postfix at this time,
> relaying mail from another server.
>
> The distribution is RedHat 7.3 with all of the updates.
>
> There is a large amount of mail in the queue (about 17k mails).
>
> The load average goes upto 8.x. If I kill postfix, it goes back down to
> 0.x. The strange thing is that top shows that the cpu usage is pretty low:
> CPU0 states:1.2% user,  3.2% system,  0.4% nice, 95.1% idle
> CPU1 states:1.4% user,  2.3% system,  0.4% nice, 95.3% idle
>
> Hardware is not the problem. The machine is a dual Athlon MP 2000 with
> 1GB of DDRAM and 2 IDE hdds with 8MB cache in RAID1. It should be able
> to handle that kind of work without any problem.
>
> I'm using ext3.

                                             --- Omer