On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Eli Marmor wrote:
>
> >The real thing that is missing, is the opposite one.
> >We have a problem of rich men: too many choices.
> >

> Isn't that what "Free Market" means? The usual sequence of events is
> that when you have 10 options for a library, 7-8 of them die out, and
> you are left with two. That's what happened in the desktop env (anyone
> still seriously using GNUStep? fvwm?)

Well, ... err... yes.
Seems to be people working on it:
http://www.gnustep.org/

No to mention: XFCE, UDE, Rox, EDE (the latter two are relatively new.
Much after gnome and KDE have become dominant). I've only tried XFCE, and
it looks nice.

And then there are the less ambitious desktops: the "window managers":
WindowMaker, IceWM, Black-Box/Flux-Box, FVWM (try 2.4 with the graphical
setup module), ion (which I'm currently trying, but have a problem with a
number of programs that can't adapto to it. It is quite a "desktop
obfucator", though)

> It's a good thing. Noone likes investing money in a product that doesn't
> take off, and noone will invest coding efforts (at least, not over time)
> in a product that noone uses. Very little products can survive without
> active maintanance (with qmail being the only noteable exception I can
> think of), and so even in the OpenSource world, if a product is
> abandoned, it will die out.

Aparantly maintaining a window manager is relatively little work. Although
a good test to see which are maintained is to se how fast they comply to
the new window manager specs from
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec.html

> One thing you should note, however, is that in this world, if a product
> dies out, you are not left out in the cold when something breaks.

(As the case of BlackBox shows)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]