On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 16:28, Ehud Karni wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2002 09:44:23 +0200, Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > The Full name of the Hamakor is "Israeli society for Free and Open
> > Source Software". Both the fact that we state both terms and that we
> > seperate the terms are meaningful.
>
> I think this definition is much too encompassing. Will you include
> "open source" software that is only part of a larger code base, and
> its use is restricted by a draconian license (look but not touch or
> copy) ?

Open Source here relates to OSI certified licenses. They have very
specific rules regarding what is and what is not an Open Source license
and you are welcome to check them out.

In similar fashion, we shall use the FSF's definition for "Free Software
licenses".

Additional licenses or specific packages that do not fall under these
categories will be considered on a case by case basis. Currently there
are none.

My personal opinion is that so called "open source" software which is
part (not useful in itself) of a larger closed work and/or which is
restricted by a draconian license as described should not be considered
Open Source and of course not Free Software.

Gilad.

--
 Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://benyossef.com

 Q: "What do you do if your Linux box goes down?"
 A: "Sit around in the dark until the power comes back on"