On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:16, Hetz Ben-Hamo wrote:

> But why?
>
> If he just needs 1 or 2 or just few packages from a newer version of GLIBC
> 2.3 based distribution, it would be much easier to just rebuild those RPMS,
> then fiddling with LD_PRELOAD IMHO...

Oh I agree, I was merely answering his question on whether he can
install newer version of glibc in parallel, which he can. Regardless if
re-building from sources or using the RPM it is sometimes useful to have
two versions of the same library and of course this is supported.

You normally don't have to use LD_PRELOAD - the dynamic linker is
supposed to pick the right version according to hints supplied by the
binary, but since anything that can go wrong will you can sometime
overcome a bug somewhere using LD_PRELOAD.

Gilad.

--
 Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://benyossef.com

 Q: "What do you do if your Linux box goes down?"
 A: "Sit around in the dark until the power comes back on"