On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Evgeny Stambulchik wrote:

> Hence, this approach is wrong. Webmin, LinuxConf, YAST, DrakeConf, you name it.
> Huge duplication of efforts and _none_ of the above working properly. You need
> an API ("abstraction") that will both generate AND parse the configuration.
> Moreover, the Apache itself MUST use this very API. And all other servers and
> applications. Throw in replication and remote access protocol and that will be
> the sysadmin's paradise... And no, I don't mind it sounds like Active Directory.

1. This means rewriting apache. Recall that apache is used not only on
linux, but on hosts of other platforms. Some linux developers tend to be
linux-centric, and ignore the fact that the same software needs to run on
other platforms.

2. gnome (partially in 1.4, more so in 2.0) is a test to such a
technology. Am I the only one who thinks a configuration daemon is bad?

And anyway, I remind you that there is already a remote access protocol on
linux that is quite powerful, and works very well. It also fits into the
unix framework: rsh/ssh

(not telnet: you cannot run commands remotely via telnet!)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]