On Sunday 19 January 2003 17:49, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

> > > OK except

> > > following

> > > I think you also need to add to smb.conf this:
> > > valid chars = 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235
> > > 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 253 254
> > >
> > >   Didi
> >
> > Thanks Didi, but it didn't work.... I looked up the "valid chars"
> > config. -- it was used before internationalization was added to Samba
> > 2.0 -- it's not obsolete. Either way I tried adding it -- no change.
>
> Did it ever work for you, and stopped working?
> We had sometimes specific clients that had problems with Hebrew
> filenames, client-side problems. They simply stopped working.
> It was always a client configuration problem - not on samba.
> You can try a Localized Hebrew Win98, and after it works move
> to 2000/XP (which are more complex).
>
> The only (relevant) option we use is 'valid chars'. I also wrote a
> patch that causes samba to save the names in ISO8859-8 (instead of
> CP862), but this is only relevant for reading the files from the
> server (or via NFS) - it never made a change on the client side
> (assuming you do not move between patched and unpatched sambas).
> You can get it from <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi>.
> BTW, we still use samba 2.2.2, but I think the changes since then
> aren't relevant.
>
> > Any other ideas anyone?
>
>       Didi

Hi..
I'm using Samba as a PDC at my work place with win98 workstations ( one day it
will be upgraded to Linux.. :-) and here is my smb.conf ( the main issues ):
[global]
        workgroup = blabbla
        netbios name = BLABLABLA
        server string = Samba Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        time server = Yes
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        dns proxy = No
        printer name = hp940

[finnancit]
        comment = Finnacit
        path = /mnt/s_data/blabla/finnancit
        valid users = @accounting
        force user = accounting
        force group = accounting
        read only = No
        inherit permissions = Yes

as you can see I'm running a script to map the users net-drives at login time.
I'm forcing all shares to be forced written as a specific user and group. I
use it for security resones since I'm handling many user groups with diff.
permissions ( I couldn't come up with better idea so if you got some other
idea don't be shy.. )

all win9x stations can read/write Hebrew file names ...
I cant see Hebrew file names from the server when I'm running  in terminal of
konqueror but it never troubled me as long as I can run backups and restores
from tape and everything works fine.. ( could use a tip to see those file
names in Hebrew on my server side.. )

I'm running Samba on my local net at home with win2k as a client and it works
the same ( file names R/W in Hebrew ) though I'm not running that server as a
PDC..

hope it will take you some where..

--
Yehuda Drori