Alon Weinstein wrote:

Thanks everyone, problem solved. The problem was indeed in the Win2K
client, not the Samba server. After checking from other Win2K machines I
found that the Default System Locale must be set to Hebrew to make it
work. I'd be happy to get some explanation why is that -- what happens
behind the scenes in the Windows box that makes this mandatory -- after
all I can use Hebrew file names on the Win box even without making
Hebrew the default locale. (Since this is a Linux mailing list I guess
the answer should not go on the list)

*Thanks again for all the help everyone*

I think I can rise up to that challange.

Windows have two different locale settings. The user's locale and the system's default locale.
The system default locale affects the codepage used when performing non-unicode operations.
The interface language (which translates to the resource picked when no language is specifically requested) is determined primarily by the language of the windows installed (since Windows 98 - before that it was taken from the locale, as you would have expected).
I'm still looking for somewhere that the user's locale makes any difference at all in any way.

That being the case, when you type a bunch of characters, they are stored (in non-unicode apps) according to the codepage dictated by the system default locale. When that is set to "English (U.S.)", this translates to Windows-1251 codepage, which means that the E0-FA range are a bunch of lating accented characters. When you set it to "Hebrew", you use Windows-1255 codepage, which means that the E0-FA range is the Hebrew alphabet in the usual order.

Why then can you locally save Hebrew named files? Because both NTFS and LFN (Long File Names) FAT store the names in Unicode. This means that once you typed the names in Hebrew, you will have no problem displaying them in Hebrew as well. Alas, this is not true of other applications. You will find that non-unicode applications (which roughly translates to "anything other than notepad") cannot access these files. They ask for the file name, receive a bunch of questions marks, and fail. This is particularily annoyingly true of Word 2000.

I hope this clears the confusion somewhat.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
"Hamakor" board member (http://www.hamakor.org.il)