Thanks everyone, problem solved. The problem was indeed in the Win2K
client, not the Samba server. After checking from other Win2K machines I
found that the Default System Locale must be set to Hebrew to make it
work. I'd be happy to get some explanation why is that -- what happens
behind the scenes in the Windows box that makes this mandatory -- after
all I can use Hebrew file names on the Win box even without making
Hebrew the default locale. (Since this is a Linux mailing list I guess
the answer should not go on the list)

*Thanks again for all the help everyone*