On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 04:59:03PM +0300, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> Nadav,
>
> I am one if the of the people who would like this mailing list a
> hebrew/english mailing list. However, there are no alternatives for every
> user yet, and by enforcing hebrew,you are enforcing some products. Which
> means loosing of of the biggest things available as linux users: choice and
> freedom.
>
> While I use KDE/KMail, which has a really good support for hebrew. There is no
> good mail client for the GNome desktop. Mozilla's mail is not capable of
> detecting the direction according to the content of the mail, so you only
> have console based alternatives, which not everyone likes.

You forgot kmail. Not to mention mozilla, which is well enough.

However I have not yet seen a way to archive a Hebrew mailing list
properly. linux-heb does not yet have a searchable archive yet. I find
this to be a major problem for that list.

> I am sure you made an Irix speak hebrew, but how hard is it? Can you expect
> _every_ one doing this? Until hebrew solutions come out of the box, I don't
> think that this mailing list will be able to speak about this.

I remember that I had no *major* issues with adding basic Hebrew support
to my sollaris environment. UTF-8 support was tougher, though. I don't
remember if I got it to work. It's been long since I last tried...

> We had this discussion even in KDE-IL mailing list (which I started) and
> finally we decided that just because _one_ user could not read, we did not
> switch to hebrew discussions completely.
>
> BTW: next time, email's with spelling errors will not be answered, please use
> kmail only ok? :-)

Now what was the required mutt configuration?

BTW: I write this message from a terminal in a windows 98 system. The
Hebrew in the mail message does appear messed-up and unreadable :-(

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+