Quoth nadav mavor on Sat, Aug 30, 2003:
> בגדול אני נימנע מלרדת לרמה הזאת אבל הפעם אני אחרוג ממנהגי

Right...

> א התיעון כי יש כאלה שלא יכולים להתקין לקוח דואר שתומך באיברית הוא מגוחך
> וחסר יסוד

Except some of us use tty-based mailers (for various reasons),
and UNIX does not support Unicode natively yet.  And support for
Hebrew in UNIX is much less advanced than support for Russian and
Japanese, for example.

> אם יש למישהוא בעיה בנושא אני חייב להסיק שהוא כנירעה ממש לא הפנים את רוח
> הLINUX שהיא "אני יכול" ו"הכול אפשרי"

Some people are not programmers.  Some have better things to do.
"If you don't like it, fix it yourself or FOAD" is not a good
answer to complaints about Linux.

> גם על הקוד הזה בנוסף לכול המתלות שלי ולשלב אותו אני חושב שהמעמץ צריך
> לבוא מהכהילה

In light of this, please explain why Emacs-bidi was developed in
Japan, and not (e.g.) Israel or an Arabic country that actually
*uses* right-to-left text.

> ג לגבי אנשים שחיים בחו"ל : מה זה קשור ? שיגורו באלסקה מצידי או במאדים !!

That's a nice piece of xenophoby.

> ד לגבי התענה שאנשים במיל ליסט הנ"ל לא מבינים איברית\לא יודעים\לא למדו
> לקרא איברית יש לי שני תשובות
>  ד.1 זה מייל שפונה ברובו לדוברי האיברית בארץ ישראל ולכן השם

The name is "linux-il" (which, as you yourself wrote, stands for
"Israel"), not "linux-heb".  One of the Founding Fathers of the
list, Harvey Stein, didn't know Hebrew (as far as I'm aware).

>  ד.2 אם אתה לא קשורים לאיברית בשום אופן מה יש לכם לחפס פה ?

The welcome message says:

    This mailing list is intended for discussions related to Linux usage in
    Israel, including, but not limited to

    - Announcements and discussions concerning the activities of the Israeli
      Linux Users' Group (see below for more information about ILUG).
    - Using Hebrew in Linux.
    - Availability in Israel of CD-ROMs and books about Linux.
    - Difficult technical questions, which require the assistance of experts.

This is the only time the message mentions Hebrew, and using
Hebrew under Linux may be discussed in English as well.
(Consider that I know how to install and use Japanese input
methods (kana-to-kanji converters et al.) under UNIX, but I don't
know nearly enough Japanese to understand the manuals -- why do
you think they wrote the manuals in English?)

> לסיכום הנושא
> אני רוצא לרעות אותכם מתלוננים ברשומות תפוצה של גרמניה\פינלנד או ירדן על
> זה שהם לא כותבים באנגלית ואיזה תגובות תקבלו

Don't know about Germany or Finland, but Japan has both Japanese-
and English-language lists, and the latter include both Japanese
and foreigners (don't know about the Japanese-language ones,
can't read 'em).  And the Japanese don't know English nearly as
well as Israelis do.  For them, speaking English is just hard,
but they don't see it as flushing their national pride down the
toilet, as you seem to.

This mailing list was English-language from the beginning.  I
would propose you to run your own list if you don't like it, but
we all have been told that a list for Hebrew-language discussions
of Linux already exists.

> הגיעה הזמן שאנשים פו יצעו מתחושת העם הנירדף ויתחילו להגדעות בזה שהם ישראלים

Indeed, it's time for the people here to stop feeling like a
persecuted nation, walk out of their self-made Ghettos and accept
the world around us, including people outside Israel, and even
*gasp* Goys Living Among Us, On Our Sacred Land!, and not all of
them are out to get us.  We all may relax and start actually
communicating with these weirdo aliens; who knows, maybe it will
prove beneficial in the long run.

What has it got to do with anything, anyway?

> אני ישראלי !ואני מדבר וכותב איברית (ולא חשוב כמה גרועה)

I'm not a native Hebrew speaker, but the vast multitude of
spelling mistakes in your text makes it painful to read.  As does
the almost complete lack of punctuation.  But I'm not going to
turn it into a spelling flame.

> אני בן למישפחה
> בת 3 דורות בארץ
> נילכמנו בכול מילכמות ישראל ונהרגו לי בני מישפחה בכול המילחמות הרשמיות והלא
> שרתתי 4 שנים בצבא בתפקידים קרבים ואני ממשיך לשרת גם במילואים אני גאאה
> להיות ישראלי

What have wars your family fought got to do with the issue at
hand?

Two of my grandfathers and one grandmother fought the Second
World War on the side of USSR and therefore contributed to defeat
of Nazi Germany.  Have Germany not been defeated, I'm not sure
this country would exist in first place.  Therefore, I propose we
speak Russian here.  Oh wait, I think it were the English who
were the first to turn the Germans back, so may I propose English
as an alternative?

> ומי שמתביש בזה ובשפה האיברית יכול לשק לי ב [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Oh yes.

> לכול לא מביני האיברית\לא קוראי איברית\מתבישים במדינה שלהם נה לפנות אלי
> במייל בצורה פרטית

How do you expect those who can't speak/read Hebrew to understand
the sentence above?

And regarding those embarrased about their country -- not all of
the subscribers are Israeli, not all of them (us) live in Israel,
not all of them were born in Israel, and none of it has to do
anything with Hebrew.

> אני אוכל להמציץ להם אל מיספר רשימות תפוצה שכן
> עובדות רק באנגלית אני חושב ששם יהיה להם יותר נוח

This mailing list is, in fact, an English-language list.

> וציתות אחד אחרון לפני שאתם מתחילים לפוצץ לי את שרת דואר בהתבחינויות שלכם
[snip]
> נירעה אם יש פה מישהוא מספיק גבר להוסיף שזה מייל ליסט לדוברי אנגלית בלבד
> אני מבטיח לו את חרון אפם של כול כהילת הלינוקס הישראלית

"Maspik gever"!  That's the Israeli spirit!

Vadik (tahziku oti!).

--
A friend is someone you call to help you move.  A real friend is
someone you call to help you move a body.