On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:05:12PM +0300, Oded Arbel wrote:
> On Sunday 31 August 2003 08:14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Why try and go in the same direction? Why the comparison?
> >
> > Because I found the features I mentioned as useful (contrary to
> > transparent menus,
> > for instance, which I don't quite understand what's the big glick about
> > them).
>
> They are really really neat :-)
> OTOH - I'd dump them in a second for real window transparency which is a
> useful tool, especially for "console on X" people - I usually have several
> consoles open at the same time, and I'd really like to be able to layer them
> in such a way that I can see the consoles with the logs running while working
> on other consoles and still use most of the screen for both.

That may be one case. But remember that a reading two xterms one on-top
of another is practically impossible.

eterm is an eye-candy, but a step backwards in terms of usability, IMHO.

> I currently use
> Konsole's multi-terminal ability, and its not good enough for me - I still
> need to shuffle back and forth.

"terminal-in-a-tab" of konsole is a bad approach: it's the approach of
those who lack screen real-estate. They sacrifasie ease of navigation.

And konsole is lacking as an implementation of "tabbed-terminal". E.g:
you can't keep several konsoles and move terminals between them. Thus
you can't realy use multiple konsoles to logically-group tasks.

BTW: take a look at mlterm. This is a redesign of xterm that keeps
almost all of the good features of xterm, and adds quite a few others.
One bad feature is the memory bloat, though. But it is the only terminal
that does bidi right.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+