On Sunday 26 October 2003 16:26, Tal, Shachar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a GPL licensing question that came from a customer of mine:
>
> That customer is currently developing a distributed client-server, where
> the communication protocols between clients and servers are non-standard
> (i.e. not HTTP or likes of it). The customer wishes to include
> somewhat-modified GPLed software components in its client software (e.g.
> python, GTK or LAM/MPICH), while keeping his server implementation,
> protocol implementation and part of client code proprietary, in order to
> actually make money off the software.
>
> Does that conform to the GNU Public License? How much of the code does the
> customer have to release under the GPL?

> I know some of you are going to start your responses with "IANAL, but ...",
> I know most of you aren't. Just give me your best shot, and I'll take the
> majority's opinion to the customer, along with a very warm recommendation
> to actually see a lawyer.

[ Insert the normal IANAL/TINLA disclaimer here ] :-)

The distinction is very simple - whatever code that is a derived work from the
GPLed parts (and assuming they are *GPLed* and not, LGPLed, for example) can
only be distributed under the GPL license by him.

In practice what this usually boils down to in most cases is that if it's code
that is linked in any way  (via using a loadable library, using a static
library, copy & paste from the sources etc.) to GPLed code then it too falls
under the GPL. If you're using the GPLed software in some other way (sending
commands from a propritery program via a pipe, executing the GPLed program
and using the results, making use of normal well defined generic interfaces
such as system calls) then your client code is not derived work and he has no
obligation concerning his own code in this case. The GPL still applies on the
GPLed parts though.

Gilad.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>