On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:15:56PM +0200, Eran Tromer wrote:

> As for the distinction you propose: what's the essential difference
> between use via loadable libraries and and use via pipe commands?

In one case, you're using the application as it was planned to be
used by a "user". In the other case, you're using it as it was planned
to be used by a developer. Users have to abide by certain rules;
developers - by others.

> Either
> can be easily used to simulate the other (at least in the normal case
> where the library and app don't share memory buffers and such), so the
> two cases are equivalent up to overhead.

Equivalent from a technical standpoint, but different from an "intent
to use" standpoint.

> Put otherwise, if pipes block
> GPLness then I can just put a pipe-based RPC wrapper around the GPL
> library (using CORBA or RMI or custom code or whatever) and voila, it
> can be used in in proprietary programs. Somewhat odd.

You're right, and people have been doing this sort of thing for many
years with mixed open source / binary only kernel modules, for
example.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://www.livejournal.com/~mulix

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]