guy keren wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

I have a (couple of) client(s) that have performance problems across
linux distirbutions. That is - they try an operation on a given platform
with a given (redhat both cases) distribution, and get a certain
performance. Then they try the same operation on the same hardware with
a newer distribution, and get considerably lower performance.

In one case, the fast distro is RedHat 7.2, and the slow one is 9. In
another I'm not sure what the fast one is, but the slow on is AS 3. I
suspect that RedHat screwed something up with their newer kernels
(perhaps something incorrectly backported from 2.6?).

people have such short memories:

(summary - nadav harel, checks why hspell on redhat 9 runs several times
slower then on redhat 7.something, and finds that changing the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use the non-tls libraries solves the problem).

That's a very interesting thread.... I'm wondering -- would I gain a performance boost by making my RH9 always use /lib/i686 instead of /lib/tls?

And another question, for the uninitiated (that's me) -- when I try to output $LD_LIBRARY_PATH I get nothing. How can I find out what are the default libraries used by the system?

Alon.