On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 03:31:50PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
>
> >Install the RedHat kernel source RPM (no, not SRPM, there's an RPM of the
> >kernel sources), then go to /usr/src/linux-version/configs and you'll find
> >the configuration files used to compile the RedHat supplied kernel.
> >
> >There are several config files suitable for SMP/UP, BIGMEM, no BIGMEM etc
> >etc., so just cp the right one as .config and there you go.
> >

> Wouldn't he rather get the SRPM and run rpmbuild?

No, unless you want to build all the different versions.

There is the middle way:

install the kernel SRPM, extract it with rpmbuild -bp and then configure
and run 'make rpm' . Note that you won't have your distro's install
scripts for the package created.

> What is in the kernel source RPM anyways? I was under the impression it
> contained an almost vanilla kernel (as opposed to the SRPM, which is
> heavilly patched).

The kernel-source rpm is created from the kernel SRPM, along with the
other kernel-* packages.

> Where is the SRPM for the kernel source rpm? :-)

You asked, we answer:

$  rpm -q --qf '%{SOURCERPM}\n' kernel-source
kernel-2.4.18-3.src.rpm

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+