Oded Arbel wrote:

You'll have major problems with that, especially the part where you assume

that everyone is connected to the internet all the time.

You can enable/disable this, or you can do some clever tricks with if-up/if-down.

The fact is that I don't find it necessary at all - just keep your glibc up to date and you always have the relevant timezone files. I've used RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE and after the first time DST automaticly kicked in I didn't think more of it.
I don't think its an exageration to expect linux workstations to update their glibc at least once a year - and that as transparent as you can get: look at windows users - they do it all the time.

Actually it sounds like an exageration to me - production systems want stability above all,
and automatic updates of glibc doesn't fit that need (I mean - you want to test a setup on
a "staging" system for a while before you change any bit in a production system), especially
with such a critical component as glibc.
A separate script to update just the timezone should make people a little more comfortable
with automatic updates.