On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:40:02PM +0300, Dan Fruehauf wrote:
> I've been googling for a while and couldnt find it, so here i am.
> for some reasons i prefer not to go into, i have to synchronize clocks between
> machines where one machine has it's clock on GMT and the other doesnt (it's
> clock is GMT + x hours forward / backward).

Actually: Israel's time zone is not defined as "GMT+2" or "GMT+3". It is
defined as "Israel's official time zone. And its offset from GMT thus
varies over the year.

> my question is, is it possible to configure ntpd (or any other ntp client) to
> fetch the time from some distant ntp server and to apply an offset (like -1
> hour, -2 hours, or something similar) on the time it recieves from the
> server?

Basically: no. Naturally it can be done. But it seems you misunderstand
what time zones are.

THe whole purpose of the time zones is to be able to use the same clock
as everybody else in the world, and only display it locally as the
correct time for the location.

Time is usually saved and transfered as an offset from a certain time in
the past. E.g: he number of seconds since a certain Epoch. In unix time
is usually kept as the number of seconds since 1.1.1970 GMT (or UTC?
nm). In ntp the time is usually kept as the number of seconds since
1.1.1980 GMT, IIRC. If the computers don't agree on the time bad things
happen: you can send a mail to somone and the recipient gets a mail "from
the future". Or gets the response "an hour too late (and he has the logs
to show it).

So the ntp clients and server don't really care about the local time
zone. They only want to make the

(the above is actually slightly over-simplistic. But the cunclusion
below should hold anyway)

So what you need to do is to fix the time-zone definition of the local
system. Not further break your synchronizaiion with the world.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+