[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Quoting Tal Achituv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

NOP and XCHG ax,ax are the same commands.

This is true, this is why I said "which is not the trivial AX,AX excahnge",
In the Intel Pentium op-code reference they mention something called "0x90/rw XCHG AX,addr16" or something like that, which contradicts my assumption that 0x90 is NOP and cannot be anything other than nop.

So basically - my question is - Is that a typo - or is my assumption wrong?

Hi!

I've recently found (in an Intel book) that the opcode 0x90 could be a
prefix for XCHG command
which is not the trivial AX,AX excahnge.

afaik 0x90 can be only NOP.

Is there any other explanation other than a typo?
(some come to mind - such as various conditions that I might be
neglecting - like the cpu mode and so on)

Tal.