On 5/13/05, Yedidyah Bar-David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> common as a server. So the crackers develop means to break linux
> servers. If/When linux is very common on the desktop, you'll start
> seeing the same there.

Same flawed FUD used by the MS camp. Apache is the most common
web server in the world and still it is cracked much less than IIS.
Same situation (server, public net) still different results.

> To get to even more philosophical ideas - I must say I do not accuse MS
> for behaving the way it behaves. I accuse the users. Users want "Bread

I *DO* accuse MS. They kept reasoning that people want convenience
and that they must compromise security to give it to them.
Well:
1. See OS X.
2. See the linux desktops - they are coming close and nobody thinks
of giving up security. (my conclusion - you don't have to give up security
in order to give convenience, not like MS did).
3. I've just heard yesterday that MS announced that "Longhorn will make
viruses and malware a thing of the past". If they can do it in Longhorn then
why couldn't they do it before?

> and fun" ("LECHEM VESHA`ASHU`IM"). Users do not want freedom. They do
> not want security. Nor power, nor robustness. They want a lot of
> software, that doesn't require them to read anything or to think in
> order to use it (note I did not use the shorter term "easy to use", I
> know it won't pass some tests). So that's what MS sells to them. It's
> not that I agree to all of MS's policies - but I think this is the root
> cause.

Again - you imply there is a correlation between "conveneience is opposite
of secure", you seem to have just been convinced by MS's flawed reasoning.
I do not agree with you and ask you to re-think it.

> --
> Didi

--Amos