Hello, list.

Recently I was wondering about applications like Mozilla's Password
Manager, KWalletManager and applications of this sort.

I assume these applications use encryption to store my passwords on the disk.
Unfortunately, the code is open, and I find this sort of protection
pretty weak (unless I'm mistaking somewhere along the way).

Since the source code is available to everyone, I conclude my
passwords can be easily deciphered by anyone who has access to the
code.

Encryption method is known, and so is the encryption key (whether in
the source code or anywhere on my hard drive).

My questions are these:
1. Is it so? Is stealing passwords from these application is as
possible as I see it?
2. If I wanted to build a password manager of this sort, and release
it under the GPL, could I choose *not* to release the encryption key
as part of the source code, and keep it hidden and secret from the
world, or this would prevent me from releasing it under the GPL (or
any other free license)? If it will, how can I build a secure FS
application of this sort? Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Itay.