Guys
We host software.co.il at http://www.johncompanies.com/ - they are good, performance is fast, they are FOSS-friendly, i.e. give discounts if you host an OSS project. For an economy-virtual server, imho, they cannot be beat. OTOH, if you need the real thing, there is nothing like rackspace.com - but be prepared to mortgage your first-born.
The latency in Israel is ok, but in the US, it is outstanding.

danny

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

Actually, I don't understand why don't you select a virtual server,
and allow me to highlight some points:

1. With Virtual Server, you're not locked to any version of component
(imagine that you want to use some feature from Perl 5.8 or Apache 2,
but your host machine only has prior version. go ahead and add it to
your shrinked space, add some paths, LD, etc, and in case the port is
busy (like in apache) - you'll have to start playing with ports.

2. Security - How hard is it really? close all the ports you don't
need, disable any services you don't use, and sign for some updates
(apt, yum, rhn, etc..), and you might need to do few more tweaks for
some really secured server. I don't think that for a person like you
it's gonna be realy difficult :)

With some other web hosting + shell - you are really totally depend on
his security measures, and I have been an employee of some of the well
known ISP's in this country who's their security skills and
implementation equal to something like Win XP + SP2 + minimal config
of some sort of freeware firewall (not all of them, some of them).
Care to test your luck, my friend? :)

3. Price - the price lately of VSERVER went down seriously and its
becoming very affordable to purchase a small virtual server. Take a
look at the followin table (where I bought my first virtual server -
http://linode.com/products/linodes.cfm).

4. Room to grow, future - it's easy to think about a simple shell +
space requirement cause thats what you need, but for few more bucks
per month, you get the whole (virtual) server with your favourite
distribution, tools, and space that you need, so you can try anything
that you're might be interested in the future.

Thats my opinion any way :)

Thanks,
Hetz