On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:02:20PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
>
> >It's closed source; contact VMWare. Now if you were asking about, oh
> >for example, Xen... that would be a completely different answer.
 >
> Eli, myself, and quite a few other people here use VMWare for developing
> a complete system, hardware support included. For such uses, Xen, with
> its demand for OS colloberation, seems a very poor replacement.

I'm not sure quite what this means. Are you saying that you want to
run unmodified kernels? if yes, why? alternatively, are you saying
that you want to run "real" device drivers and have the hardware
emulated?

Xen unstable can do both with hardware virtualization support, and the
latter with PCI emulation (WIP).

> Qemu does perform the hardware emulation, but is extremely slow. I don't
> know how well the closed source accelerator is faring, but if I'm going
> to buy something, I'll buy something that's ready.

That is entirely your prerogative. The other side of the coin is
helping the open source alternative do what you need it to do. Compare
and contrast bitkeeper vs. git and mercurial.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda