Yonah Russ wrote:
Really, the US could have easily approved the sale and just trained/hired other "americans" people to maintain the systems themselves using telephone support from sourcefire for technical questions. There is no real reason for Sourcefire to have access to the networks in order to provide support.

It's a matter of power.  There is no Israeli operating system, PC and
database.  Israel had to rely on others.  But the USA don't have to rely
on others - they have everything at home.  They want to keep the power
at home, and information security is part of it.  I don't support it
personally, but I also don't support their immigration policy.  If it
was up to me, I would open the gates for everyone.  But I understand the
(selfish) reasons that causes them to make these decisions.  They think
about themselves, and what's good for them.  And it is good for them (at
least in the short term).

A few years ago, I wanted to install an SSH client on my PC.  There was
a famous USA made SSH client, but it was illegal for people from other
countries to buy it.  Eventually I found out a free and open source
client (I think it was TTSSH).  By the way, now I use Putty.  And when
PGP was invented, Phil Zimmermann was really harassed by the USA
government for inventing it and exporting it.  That was the USA policy,
and I agree it is stupid.  Because even if they want to, they just CAN'T
prevent the rest of the world from catching up with new developments.

Best Regards,

Uri Even-Chen
Speedy Net
Raanana, Israel.