On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:52:20AM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> One substance. He wants to make money.

That's for sure. :-)

>Every indication I have (and i did consult a lawyer)
> shows that they cannot stop you from writing "Derived from RedHat
> Linux", however, assuming it is true.

You cannot say, in the U.S. that the product is RHEL or "Red Hat Linux",
or represent it in any way as being the product sold by Red Hat,
or include a picture of a red hat.

You can call it "dead rat linux" or something else, show other icons,
except a yellow dog (which someone else got first). Since the source
code was released under the GPL, you can claim that your product contains
code developed or distributed by Red Hat. "Derived from Red Hat Linux"
would therefore be ok as long as you in no way represent yourself as
being Red Hat or affiliated with them.

The whole thing started because people were selling "Red Hat Linux" CDs
on an auction site without paying any royalty to Red Hat for the use of
their name. Customers were upset because they thought they were getting
a package deal of the CD's, some printed documentation and 90 days free
support from Red Hat.

What they got was a set of home made CD with the words "Red Hat Linux" written
on them in magic marker.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838