First of all, I agree with most of the answer and believe that what you
claim about governmental or any agency surveilance is possible but very,
very, very improbable.
El lun, 11-09-2006 a las 09:49 +0300, Nadav Har'El escribió:
> [...]
> > even most of them.  I tried to send messages to myself to 2 different
> > addresses.  One I received instantly, and the other I didn't receive
> > at all.  I tried it again, same result.  Somebody, probably related to
> > the Israeli government, is censoring me.  I don't have freedom of
> > speech any more.  And that's only because I criticised the Israeli
> > government.
>
> Uri, the situation you're describing is possible technically, but highly
> unlikely.
>
> What is more likely that you're seeing the byproducts of the world's email
> infrastructure's increasing complexity - and often *stupidty* - as a result
> of the battle against spam. The delivery of your mail more and more relies
> on your IP address being "ok"ed by a bunch of "blacklists", your choice of
> words being "ok"ed by a bunch of "algorithms", your domain name being oked
> by a bunch of authentication techniques, and so on.
>
> Let me give you a simple example that I saw just yesterday.
>
> I sent a mail from my Technion account to someone in another reputable Israeli
> organization. Should have been straightforward, right? Well, a minute later,
> my email bounced. It turns out that a mail server on the way to the
> destination's mail server decided to "verify" that the domain on my mail,
> "math.technion.ac.il", is in the DNS. Why? Does this prevent any spam? Not
> really, but what the heck - this is what they decided to check. It turns
> out that for a few seconds, a network problem rendered the technion
> unreachable
> and the DNS did not work. So the mail server decided that this mail was spam.
> I was lucky that they decided to *bounce* this alleged spam. Normally, this
> wouldn't even happen, and the alleged spam is just discarded and you never
> know why (because most of the from addresses are on spam are forged, there
> is no point in bouncing).
>
> I've seen even stranger things happening. Mails from yahoo.com silently
> dropped because some newbie sysadmin saw a lot of spam "from" @yahoo.com
> and decided to drop mail based on "from" address). Mails from an entire
> country dropped because someone thought that most spam comes from it.
> And so on.
>
> It would have been nice to see your evidence. Perhaps we could give you a
> different explanation than the government's involvement.
>
> > Do you know any secure way to send and receive E-mails, without
> > censorship and without the risk of someone blocking them?
>
> What about a webmail like Gmail? I don't see how break into that, seeing
> that login is done with SSL and that the servers lie in another country
> and Google probably won't cooperate with the Israeli government.
>
> Use the URL https://mail.google.com/mail/ and your entire connection to
> Google, not just the login, will be through SSL. This will make you
> immune to eavesdropping or man-in-the-middle attacks from the government.

Also, if you´ll like to improve the security and/ or anonymity of your
Gmail experience, use Firefox( In Linux) as web browser install Tor,
Privoxy, the FoxyPoxy Firefox´s extension,  and follow the instructions
of this link
http://www.freenet.org.nz.nyud.net:8080/misc/google-privacy.html?coral-no-redirect
 .

> Of course, if the government has broken into your own machine, they may
> have installed malicious software there. Open your machine, look for any
> unrecoginized hardware, then reinstall your system from scratch, keep it
> up to date, and put up a software firewall (e.g., iptables on Linux).

And if you are really, really paranoiac, you can use OpenBSD as OS in
some of you computers to have an always¨ safe¨ option. I´m not an expert
in OpenBSD, but there is a live CD designed to operate in laptops with
wireless connection. It comes with Firefox and other basics applications
and you can download it from http://kaos.to/cms/content/view/14/32/ .
They claim at their website that it is special for defending people from
governmental surveilance and also that you can install it to you HD.

Hope that it will help you in someway.
Good luck,

Julian

> > If you think I deserve it, think again.  Today it's me, tomorrow it
> > can be you too!
>
> About that, see the famous poem in
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |        Monday, Sep 11 2006, 18 Elul 5766
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |In God we Trust -- all others must submit
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |an X.509 certificate.

Julian Daich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>