On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:38:35AM +0300, Hadar wrote:

> I'm encoding audio CDs into FLAC files using Sound Juicer.
> The albums are automatically recognized and the songs names are downloaded.
> When ripping Hebrew albums, the songs names are sometimes malformed
> (a.k.agibberish - certainly not Hebrew characters).

They are Hebrew characters, but not in a charcter set you expect them to
be.

I get this when I rip CDs using Audiograbber on Windows. The CD is
recognized in the freedb and often I get useable Hebrew names. When I
copy the files to a Linux server via Samba the names become garbled.

Sometimes they still show properly on a Windows computer, sometimes they
are garbage there too.

I know there are ways to fix the Samba side of it, but I don't really care.
Someone who had many Hebrew albums and wanted the names in readable
Hebrew would.

> Is it a local problem, or a problem with the remote database?
> If the problem is local, how can I fix it?

There are two places where the name of the album and the name of the
song are found. One is the obvious, the file name which may or may
not be important to you.

To me having the name in a simple form in a way I can easily understand
and manipulate it is more important than having it in a proper
representation of the language. Therefore I use the English name of the
artist and a simple translation if I use anything at all for the song name.

I remove punctation and replace spaces and special characters
with underbars. I convert all file names to lower case.

This is done with a PERL program which has gotten quite sophisticated over
the years.

The second, and more important to me as Hebrew, location is the ID tags
in the files themselves. Technicaly they are ID version 3, or ID3 tags
for short.

Most players will display the ID3 tags instead of the file name, often
by default, and that would be a matter of making sure the player has
the correct fonts available and uses them.

Of course I am talking about playing them on a computer. Playing them on
an MP3 player and getting proper Hebrew may be impossible. It depends
upon the player.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838