Why would they insist of the mail service would be local? It'll raise many new
concerns: availability, backups, data corruptions..

If it's just a need for shared calendar and central mail storage, I'd be using
Google for domains. Should be free of charge for small companies.

IMAP/POP3 is supported and there's also a new outlook-calendar-sync software;
but I prefer to use the GUI for calendar stuff.

I bet your alternative solution don't suggest the SMS-on-appointment feature,
not for free at least :)

 - Oren