On Monday 31 March 2008 13:46:36 Ira Abramov wrote:
> > If it's just a need for shared calendar and central mail storage, I'd be
> > using Google for domains. Should be free of charge for small companies.
>
> I suggested that too. they didn't want the "security risks"

You can take out the quotes. gmail uses the google login, which means that if
I get your login (by a cross site scripting attack; by a phishing trick; by a
vulnerability in any of the google services) I got full access to your
corporate email.
Also, your security nazi^H^H^H^Hadministrator has no control over the login
policies, password policies, or anything else that has to do with security,
oh, but they are allowed to bang their heads to the wall if something goes
wrong and they need google's help, because talking to the wall is the
equivalent of google human support (unless they're lawyers in which case
google will be happy to comply).

There's also no backup and no archive.

> and the
> google branding on their Emails.

This is no small matter. I can't see why a company will agree to having their
emails having "sent on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]".

Plus, most of what GSM wrote (including the full disclosure about not liking
google).

> They are willing to shell out thousands
> of dollars for an inferior solution (IMHO, especially if you count cost)

If they consider email a critical part of their daily work, maybe shelling out
some money makes sense. Although with FOSS products you usually get to try it
before shelling out the money (e.g. Marc's note).

> > I bet your alternative solution don't suggest the SMS-on-appointment
> > feature, not for free at least :)

That *is* a killer feature, I'll admit.

- Aviram (who uses google calendar exclusively nowadays)