On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:39:44PM +0300, Oren Held wrote:
> If it's just a need for shared calendar and central mail storage, I'd be
> using
> Google for domains. Should be free of charge for small companies.

Before I answer this, I need to disclose that I am extremely anti-Google.

However, I think that it's important to say this, and that it applies to
ALL of the free webmail providers, not just Google.

As someone who has been involved with a lot of commerical research over the
years, I would NEVER want to use a email service I did not control for my
company's email. Google and all the others, data mine your email. They
claim that it is for advertising purposes, but one can never be sure.

Just knowing what a company is discussing, can give you insider information.

For example, I worked for a place that had a particular computer. It was
used for a specific purpose. If we had joined that companies public user
list, we would have been advertising that we were developing a product.
No one could figure that out just by knowing that we had that computer.
However the project leader was a well known expert in their field, and
knowing that he had one would be enough for the competition to connect
the dots.

How hard would that be for someone scanned their email?

It's been done in other venues, IBM had a free patent search database before the
USPTO. They data mined the queries and had a group working on using the results.
If someone did a search which could be used as an idea for a product, they took
it. It was both legal and ethical because they said something in their T&C.

Another case are domain registrars who data mine whois requests. If you search
for
a domain that is not in use, the registrar "holds" it and raises the price. :-)

There is a company which sells a product that blocks these kind of security
holes
and does not let you send attachments, discuss confidential keywords, etc on
free mail accounts.

> I bet your alternative solution don't suggest the SMS-on-appointment feature,
> not for free at least :)

Ooh neat. Sounds like a good one to me.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM