On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:22:19PM +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> No, a planet aggregates many "columns" (blogs) into one newspaper.
> There are still a multitude of information sources - other
> "newspapers" - that it doesn't aggregate. It doesn't aggregate
> mailing lists like this one

Use a mail to rss gateway.

> or those of active free software projects; It doesn't aggregate
> forums; It doesn't aggregate news sites (like whatsup and
> linmagazine).

Both have rss feeds.

> It doesn't aggregate stories about free software written in sites
> like ynet, captain Internet, and so on.

Those I'm not sure about, but hopefully they have or will have rss
feeds.

> And so on... So this "planet" appears to be an interesting
> "newspaper", but just one of many - not one that can replace all.

It can replace all, but I'm not sure it would be a pleasant
experience.

> And frankly, I doubt there can every be one that replaces them
> all. There is simply too much information to appear at one place,
> too many disagreements on what is the appropriate way to display
> this information, and too many alternative ways to interpret the
> information. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

I agree---for some things the convenience of rss trumps seeing them in
the "original design", for others, reading an rss feed is like reading
the subtitles of a movie instead of watching it.

Cheers,
Muli