On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 21:43 +0300, Boaz Rymland wrote:
> Beagle once created huge log files in its directory under my home dir,
> which clogged my filesystem. It took a while to find the culprit but
> afterwards it was pretty fast to purge it from my system :-) . That
> incident, couple with very little use I had for it, convinced me to
> drop it altogether.

The huge files (index and log files) were not a problem for me.  I set
aside a separate multi-GB partition for Beagle's use, directing it to
use it by an appropriately planted symbolic link.

> Nobody mentioned the long proven, useful and (very) lean on resources
> - Linux command line tools like locate, grep, find, vi and probably a
> few good other "dinosaurs" which I left out of the list. They do what
> I want today to the point that I don't feel an urge to find such a
> tool as you describe. Yes, the downside is considerable as well - they
> are hard to use to the point that probably the new Linux user (=my
> mother, if she would have ever considered using Linux...) will never
> use them. I just mention these tools for the sake of the record :-)

I use those "traditional" command line tools, too.

The problem is that they are very slow when I want to search significant
parts of my PC's filesystem.  Therefore I need a search tool which I
would expect to index the information for easier subsequent retrieval.
See above for my not minding the space taken up by those index files.

                                              --- Omer

--
Wilcox-McCandlish Law of Online Discourse Evolution:
The chance of success of any attempt to change the topic or direction of

I may be affiliated in any way.