Up until recently I used to have smbfs mounts to all the development and some of the production servers in my company. I used to mount as a particular user in the host machine, and then every write, mode change, time set etc. was done as that user on the server side, and everything was pretty transparent to me.

Recently, because I upgraded my machine, I was forced to stop using smbfs and change to cifs. It works well enough with windows machines, but when the host server is linux, I get nothing but grief. All I need is for it to behave as it used to - allow me to access all the files as a particular user on the server side.

Instead, I get all sorts of strange errors. For example, when I use "cvs update" in a project mounted with cifs, I get the following:

P sql/9_insert 16_lookup.sql
cvs update: cannot change mode of sql/9_insert/16_lookup.sql: Permission denied

On other times I get errors such as "cannot set time".

Or when I try to copy a file over an existing file on the mount:
cp foo.bar 16_lookup.sql
I get the result:
cp: cannot create regular file `16_lookup.sql': No such file or directory

The only way to copy over a file is to rm it and then do the cp.

Can anybody guide me on how I should change the server side, or the mount command on my fstab, to be able to work smoothly?

I tried setting /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled (on the client side) to 0, but it makes no difference.

There is no domain controller - each of the servers is set up with its own set of users, and the user I use for mounting is not necessarily the same as my local one, though on some occasions it is.

Here is an example line from my fstab if it helps:
//lindev5/herouth /home/herouth/lindev5 cifs rw,user,noauto,username=herouth,password=REMOVED,ip=192.168.34.246,uid=herouth,gid=herouth,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755,setuids

TIA,
Herouth