On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Herouth Maoz<hero...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Up until recently I used to have smbfs mounts to all the development and
> some of the production servers in my company. I used to mount as a
> particular user in the host machine, and then every write, mode change, time
> set etc. was done as that user on the server side, and everything was pretty
> transparent to me.
>
> Recently, because I upgraded my machine, I was forced to stop using smbfs
> and change to cifs. It works well enough with windows machines, but when the
> host server is linux, I get nothing but grief.

Herouth,

FWIW, I see similar effects when the server is Windows. I have a
different setup, I run VMware VMs on my work laptop, and I mount a
share on the host (WinXP 64 bit) in Linux VM (CentOS 5.3). After
initial hiccups I worked my way through the various "security" tabs in
the share's "Properties" window, and disabled the host's firewall
(after a nod from the company's sysadmin). After that what I need to
do works just fine, but when I read your posting I tried to touch a
couple of files and copy one over the other (had not had a need to do
it before) - and I saw effects similar to what you describe ("can't
modify owner", "can't modify time", etc.).

I suspect the culprit maybe CIFS ACLs (I had added the user who mounts
the share to the list and had given him "full access") and/or their
mapping to POSIX ACLs. I played a bit with getfacl/setfacl but got
nowhere. Maybe some googling for CIFS ACLs will help.

Sorry that I can't help you more, but maybe the fact that it is not
Linux-server-specific will help the investigation...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org