Quoting guy keren <c...@actcom.co.il>:

in the samba server file you have a 'workgroup' name - give this as the
'domain' to the cifs mount options.

also, you can run the samba server on the linux machine in debug mode,
re-connect the client, perform the operation and start reading the
log... it's not trivial, but it's do-able.

Thanks. I added the domain but it didn't help.

The servers are not under my responsibility, unfortunately, so I can't dictate to the sysadmin to allocate time to look into this. I'll need to keep researching this until I can come up with specific parameters that should fix the problems.

Do you have anything particular set as far as permissions or ACLs are concerned, on the server side? Might give me a clue.

Herouth