Danny Lieberman wrote:

You feel more secure DIY (and are probably factually less secure)
I feel more secure with Google Apps (and are probably factually more secure)
I like the way you give your opinion, and then back it up by your opinion of how things are. People don't leave space for the possibility of being wrong.

More to the point, security is a multi-facet problem. You worry about your server being broken into and third parties listening in on your email, and therefor decide that Google will likely do it better. It's a legitimate choice, but it is very far from being the only consideration, or even the only conclusion.

Myself, I worry more about third parties having access to my data, and that includes Google themselves.

Your claimed price of "zero" disregards certain costs. For example, you do not count the cost in loss of privacy and the cost of having your emails available for parties to summon from Google using the court system without your knowledge. Obviously, these may not be concerns for you, and as such, may not be something you count as cost. That is fine, so long as you do not have the hubris to claim that this applies to everyone.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.