On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 08:07:04PM +0200, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Is there an open source English Hebrew Dictionary? I'm interested with
> usable program that once you'll enter an English word, it would display the
> Hebrew translation. Specifically for the Android platform, but I believe
> that I'll be able to adapt any desktop application to a mobile device quite
> easily.
>
> I'm aware of the Limon project (http://www.jlc.org.il/limon/), but I'm not
> sure how to download the word list or the translation software. Except, the
> word list is not too long (6k).

If you'll search the list archives, you'll find some posts ten years ago
about wordtrans/qwordtrans/kwordtrans which can read babylon old-format
dictionaries and which I then managed to make read also the Hebrew
encoding. Not sure about the status of the project, but you might manage
to compile and use it.

Babylon's old dictionaries are not easy to find on the web, but you might
be able to find some.

> Is there a free dictionary in book form (ie, with no copyright holders)? I
> don't mind typing it.

As others said, I personally use only google translate these days. It's
good enough, of course not as fast as a local tool if you are reading in
some other software, but I did not bother looking for local tools. For
reading stuff on the net, I think it's very good. You can make it show
the original text and when you point at a sentence it pops up a
translation. The translation is usually very bad, which is why I never
use it to read the translation itself, but good enough if you only need
one word.
--
Didi