On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:58:01AM +0200, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Two inputs:
>
> 1) Babylon's dictionary files are not free or opensource (as far as I know).
> So distributing them might not be legal.

Indeed. But back then they were freely-downloadable from their site,
so if you manage to find one, I do not think it's a big difference
if you download it now or have downloaded it then from them. They moved
to a new format a long time ago and deleted all the old files.

Note IANAL.

> 2) Google translate does not replace a dictionary, which defines the word
> exactly, when it's a noun, verb or otherwise, include usage examples, etc.

Indeed. For this I use google dictionary. And sometimes Reuven Alkalay's
paper dictionary... If it would have been sold on CDs, I am pretty certain
I'd buy one.

Wiktionary is also very useful. It has very little English-Hebrew material,
but more stuff in other languages, and I also think that if you decide to
donate some time (as you implied you might do), this is probably the place
to do this.
--
Didi