On 16/02/2018 17:29, Jim Mattson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 6:18 AM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Uhm, taking contents from the hardware is wrong (guess why---live
>> migration).  I'll send a revert of those two lines.
> Hardware seems like a reasonable place to get the default value (cf.
> the VMX capability MSRs).

There are some differences:

- a zero value for ARCH_CAPABILITIES should be safe, while a zero value
for VMX capabilities doesn't really make sense.  On the contrary, a
nonzero value for ARCH_CAPABILITIES is not safe across live migration.

- VMX doesn't support live migration; before adding that support we will
probably have Tom's patches to retrieve MSR capabilities.