On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 14:10 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Hardware seems like a reasonable place to get the default value (cf.
> > the VMX capability MSRs).
> There are some differences:
> - a zero value for ARCH_CAPABILITIES should be safe, while a zero value
> for VMX capabilities doesn't really make sense.  On the contrary, a
> nonzero value for ARCH_CAPABILITIES is not safe across live migration.

Any VMM which is going to support live migration surely needs to pay at
least a small amount of attention to the features it exposes? Exposing
the ARCH_CAPABILITIES CPUID bit without actually looking at the
contents of the associated MSR which that bit advertises would be... a
little strange, would it not?

I don't see why we care so much about the *default* value, in that