Hi Tim,

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:12 PM <tim.b...@sony.com> wrote:
> > From: Josh Triplett

> > > So what's an appropriate place to discuss the changes that we would like,
> > > *together*, to make to the current document and propose upstream ?
> >
> > I didn't say "not the appropriate place to discuss" (ksummit-discuss is
> > not ideal but we don't currently have somewhere better), I said "not the
> > appropriate place for such patches".
> >
> > The Linux kernel is by no means the only project using the Contributor
> > Covenant. In general, we don't encourage people working on significant
> > changes to the Linux kernel to work in private for an extended period
> > and only pop up when "done"; rather, we encourage people to start
> > conversations early and include others in the design. Along the same
> > lines, I'd suggest that patches or ideas for patches belong upstream.
> > For instance, the idea of clarifying that email addresses already used
> > on a public mailing list don't count as "private information" seems like
> > a perfectly reasonable suggestion, and one that other projects would
> > benefit from as well.
>
> So I raised this issue with upstream about 2 weeks ago, and here is my
> experience:
> 1) I suggested that the email clarification could be put into the covenant
> itself, or in a supporting FAQ.
> 2) The project maintainer (Coraline Ada Ehmke) was pleasant and supportive
> of changes to enhance the document, and said either approach would be fine.
> 3) I noticed that there was a FAQ in progress of being created.
> 4) After thinking about it, I decided that I didn't want to alter the language
> of the covenant, because I didn't want to dilute the expression of a need to
> get permission when revealing private information.
>
> My own opinion is that putting clarifying language in a FAQ is sufficient.
> So I made the following recommendation for the (not yet included upstream)
> FAQ:
>
> Q: Does the prohibition on publishing private information include email
> addresses sent to a public list?
> A: No. Information that has voluntarily been published to a public location
> does not fall under the category of private information. Such public
> information may be used within the context of the project according to
> project norms (such as in commit meta-data in code repositories), without
> that constituting a breach of the CoC.

I noticed this morning this is actually already included in the FAQ
(I didn't know this is recent thing):
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/faq

> I don't know what progress is being made adopting the FAQ, but Coraline seems
> very
> supportive, and I've told here that I will come back and help with it if it
> stalls.

I'm glad to heart that!

FTR, I've submitted my patch earlier today, too:
https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/610

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--