On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 09:09:57PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> >> I think the "sapphire_rapids" is the code name for the server platform.
> >
> > If that's really the case, then:
> >
> > #define INTEL_FAM6_SAPPHIRERAPIDS_X     0x8F
> >
> > is wrong, those things should be uarch name, not platform name. Tony?
>
> 0x8F is the model number of the CPU that is named Sapphire Rapids that
> goes into the Eagle Stream platform
>
> If you want a uarch name, that might be the name of the core
> (.... something-cove ... I can't keep track of the names of all the
> coves).

uarch names used to be different from that. But looking at wikipedia,
things have gone completely apeshit after skylake :-/

We used to have one microarch and then a laptop,desktop and server sku,
but now each of those has a separately named microarch, so where we had
one new name each year, we now have at least 3. No wonder I've no
sodding clue anymore.

/me stmps off to get a beer to forget all I've seen ...