Thanks for the comments everyone. Ralph, I may give W7 a go, as I'm finding the stores I shop at don't carry XP now. My plan is to install linux first. Since I expect to flail some, I may try W7 as the base at some point as well.

Ralph Sims wrote:
I don't know why, but using XP as the host seemed to work better for me. I have some strange apps that used weird calls to the TCP/IP stack in Windows and they just didn't play right in XP as a guest machine. Also on an HP netbook, there's no direct support under Ubuntu for Verizon's built-in CDMA modem and using Windows as a host solved my problems getting on line.

This all being said, I'm now using Win7 Enterprise as a host and Ubuntu as the guest and things are rather smooth. I might try setting up another machine with Win7 as the guest and see if my DLL issues go away.